It may or may not come as a surprise to you that Thailand is the most searched travel destination in Asia. When searching online for places to go in Asia, Thailand is the first place that pops into the heads of those with a case of serious wanderlust. Would you believe that 16 million travellers head over to Thailand each year? Well, they do! Other Asian countries are lucky to get a few million every year. One thing travellers love about Thailand is that it’s a good place to visit any time of year. The weather can vary, but there’s still an abundance of things to see and do. The weather definitely doesn’t dictate whether you have a good time or not here! Other popular places searched for include Italy, Spain, and Greece. But wait, do you want to learn more about Thailand? Read on…
Best Places to Visit in Thailand
The following places are just a handful of destinations in Thailand you should consider visiting:
- Chiang Rai – commercial hub of the Golden Triangle. It contains the borders of Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar. There’s something for all kinds of travellers here.
- Pai – Pai is picturesque, and has a wonderfully relaxed atmosphere. Great for travellers who want to get away from it all, but it’s gaining in popularity so there might be crowds. It all depends on the time of year.
- Ayutthaya – a city steeped in history, you’ll learn a lot when you visit Ayutthaya. If you’re not sure about visiting, you should know that this place was once considered the most magnificent city in the world. Wouldn’t you like to say you’ve visited the most magnificent city in the world? I know I would!
- Chiang Mai – although Chiang Mai is a historical city in parts, it also has many modern traditions too. Travellers come here to explore the outdoors and have real adventures! You get a taste of both worlds here, which many travellers love.
- Bangkok – Thailand’s capital, so there’s something for everyone here. The centre of a lot of Thailand news! There’s nightclubs, markets, skyscrapers, and more. It does have its natural beauty, but it might not be for everybody. It all depends on what you want when you travel! Before visiting Bangkok, make sure you do lots of research.
Other Asian Travel Destinations
Although Thailand is the most searched travel destination in Asia, you shouldn’t rule out other Asian destinations. In fact, they may appeal to you more if you don’t want to be surrounded by tourists. Here are some other great destinations and reasons why you should pay them a visit:
- Kyoto – located in Japan, this place is perfect if you’d like to get a feel for what ancient Japan was like. It has plenty of temples and other sites to see. 17 sites are Unesco World heritage sites!
- Cambodia – full of sleepy little towns, but most certainly not boring! This place has a huge history and gets millions of visitors each year. So many places here aren’t explored by tourists, so it’s great for people who want to travel off the beaten path. A charming place with beautiful landscapes. Just waiting to be explored by a traveller who wants something a little different.
- Malaysia – this place boasts a bit of everything; festivals, tropical rainforests, beaches, and more. If you want an Asian location with something for everyone, this is the place.
- Hong Kong – if you find China a little intimidating, Hong Kong is a good place to start. There are theme parks, museums, and mountains to climb. It has a sort of British influence, but that doesn’t take away from it at all!
- Beijing – not the most popular Chinese destination, but that doesn’t mean there’s nothing to see here. You have the forbidden city and the Great Wall of China to name just a few things.
- Seoul – located in South Korea, this place appeals to many people because it’s so modern and up to date. There’s always a new skyscraper being built, and even the historical sites have been renovated. If you want somewhere modern and clean, this is it.
- Bali – a very popular place with honeymooners, mainly because of the luxury hotels and gorgeous scenery. If you’re a nature lover, you can enjoy all kinds of it here. Want more of an adventure? Bali is great for that too!
- Singapore – if you want to eat some delicious food, then you have to go to Singapore. This place is renowned for the amazing culinary creations cooked here. Not only that, you have a fabulous skyline to enjoy too.
- The Maldives – one of the most attractive and off putting things about the Maldives is that it’s quite difficult to reach. For some people that makes this place a must, for others it means it doesn’t make the cut. If you can be bothered to get there, it’s definitely worth a look in. Very popular with newlyweds and even just people who love to lay on the beach.
- Tokyo – if you want to explore Asia, Tokyo must be on your list. It’s a fast paced city filled with tourists, but don’t let that put you off. There are plenty of museums, temples, skyscrapers, and other things to see. You won’t believe the crazy fashion sense of the locals either! If you like, you can stay in a treehouse to make your trip extra special. Make sure you try sushi here. Just be sure you create an itinerary before you travel so you don’t feel overwhelmed!
Will you be visiting Thailand any time soon? How about the other Asian locations on the list? You have so much choice when it comes to exploring Asia, it can be difficult to decide where to begin. If you want a quieter trip, you’ll need to make sure you visit at the right time of year to avoid the majority of tourists. Leave a comment with your thoughts below!