Published On: Sat, Oct 3rd, 2015

Sepp Blatter: Coca-Cola Among Sponsors Saying Fifa Boss Must Go

Fifa president Sepp Blatter will not resign despite major sponsors Coca-Cola, Visa, Budweiser and McDonald’s calling for him to go immediately.

Sepp Blatter

The four each issued statements saying Blatter should quit after Swiss criminal proceedings were opened against him last week.

Coca-Cola took the first step, saying: “Every day that passes Fifa’s image and reputation continues to tarnish.”

McDonald’s said Blatter going would be “in the best interest of the game”.

The 79-year-old is accused by Swiss prosecutors of signing a contract that was “unfavourable to Fifa” and making a “disloyal payment” to Uefa president Michel Platini, but denies any wrongdoing.

In a statement released through his lawyers on Friday, Blatter said resigning now “would not be in the best interest of Fifa, nor would it advance the process of reform”.

Budweiser’s parent company, AB InBev, said it considered Blatter “to be an obstacle in the reform process”, while Visa said it would be in “the best interests of Fifa and the sport” for the Swiss to resign immediately.

Football Association chairman Greg Dyke described Friday’s developments as a “game-changer”.

He added: “It doesn’t matter what Mr Blatter says now. If the people who pay for Fifa want a change they will get a change. For those of us who want fundamental change, this is good news.”

Blatter was re-elected for a fifth term as president of world football’s governing body in May, but the election was overshadowed when seven Fifa officials were arrested in dawn raids at a five-star Zurich hotel at the request of the United States.

The US later indicted 14 current and former Fifa officials and associates on charges of “rampant, systemic, and deep-rooted” corruption following a major inquiry by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Blatter then announced he would be stepping down as president in February 2016.

On Monday, Blatter said through lawyers he would not resign before then, despite criminal proceedings being opened against him.

He has said the 2011 £1.5m payment made to Platini, the head of European football’s governing body, was “valid compensation and nothing more”.

Platini, 60, has said he received the payment for work as Blatter’s technical advisor between 1999 and 2002 and has written a letter to Uefa members denying any wrongdoing.

The contract described by Swiss prosecutors as “unfavourable to Fifa” is thought to refer to a 2005 TV rights deal between Fifa and Jack Warner, the former president of Concacaf, the governing body of football in North and Central America and the Caribbean.

According to an investigation by Swiss broadcaster SRF in September, the deal allegedly resulted in a multi-million pound profit for Warner’s company.

Meanwhile, a separate Swiss investigation is looking into the bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, which will be held in Russia and Qatar respectively.